Sunday, June 14, 2015

Made it to Bishkek

I finally made it to my first "Stan".  It took a while to get here.  I started yesterday afternoon with a 1 PM Student Agency bus ride to the Prague Airport.

Prague to Istanbul
Then I had a 7:10 PM flight on Turkish Airlines from Prague to Istanbul.  This was my first time on Turkish Airlines and it was pretty nice.  The flight was 2 hours and 40 minutes long.  This gave me almost two hours at the Istanbul Airport waiting on my connection.

Istanbul to Bishkek
Then at 12:45 AM I got on another Turkish Airlines flight.  The flight to Bishkek was just over five hours.  I tried to get some sleep but that didn't work out so well.  By 9:30 I had already cleared immigration and got by luggage.

The guest house that I'm staying at had a car pick me up at the airport which was great.  After a long flight I was not really up for having to haggle in Russian with the airport taxi drivers.

As soon as I got to the guest house the owner served me my first Kyrgyz breakfast.  This and a hot shower and I'll be ready to start exploring the city.

Update:  This afternoon my Russian got me a high five from an ethnic-Korean Kyrgyz.  He was surprised that an American could speak Russian.  I guess he didn't notice my Czech pronunciation and vocabulary.

No comments:

Post a Comment